Monday, February 7, 2011

Febrolutions


How can it be February already? Because January was a nightmare is why. A complete nightmare. There were monsters and everything.

January flew by in such a frantic, chaotic blur that I have lost track of all the changes I was going to make to myself and my life in 2011. I know what I need to do. And part of knowing what I need to do necessarily includes knowing what I don’t need to do. So here it is. I’m breaking this year down into manageable chunks. No more New Year’s Resolutions. I’m going with New Month’s Resolutions. Here it goes for February.

I am back off shopping. Yes… you heard it right and heard it here first. OFF shopping. I do not need anything. I have more than enough. I now own 4, wait, 5 pairs of Nike Free running shoes. Really? Do I really need 5 pairs? One pair does fall within the charitable contribution exception referenced in previous posts but the rest don’t. They don’t even fall within my “practical wardrobe enhancement exception”. They are not neutral colors. They are pink, purple, pink and purple, bright orange and blue. They are just cute. Now granted I am a runner and can justify running shoes but enough is enough. I can also justify running shorts. I found the greatest new place to purchase running shorts. Lululemon! Cutest. Running. Shorts. Ever. Ever! Thank the Lord there is no Lululemon store in my city. It is definitely on the save up and make a trip list though.

I have similar problems with books. I hereby promise that I will not buy anymore books until I have read the books that are currently all over my house. This excludes Taboo’s (from the Black Eyed Peas) new auto-biography. I just love him so, so much. And he has had a hard life and certainly deserves the $20.00 I will spend to have his book on the day it comes out. I do read a lot and really, truly love reading but perhaps I should check out that thing they call the Library rather than that magical place called Barnes and Nobel.

So, other than that one exception there is no shopping for anything but food and essentials for February. Now, in the past I have admittedly broadened the “essentials” category but I will do my best. There are no foreseeable shopping emergencies. Only one possible temptation in the form of a trip to Las Vegas but I will have my son with me who hates shopping so I should be ok.

Next, I will eat better. I am considering going “raw” and I am curious if anyone has had success with it. I’m doing pretty well with the yoga commitment and definitely feel it de-toxifying me. I wonder what a full out month of eating no crap will do. I have re-read Skinny Bitch and a few blogs about the horrors of meat and processed food especially. I need to feel better, I really do. It seems that a healthy “almost raw” diet just can’t hurt at this point. Actually, the more I think about it the more I think this requires more research and planning and will be a March resolution.

In addition, I’m all about self-realization and self-improvement. I am also going to be nice. I’m going to stop complaining, I am going to stop beating myself up over mistakes of all sizes. The little ones seem to get to me as much as the big ones. I’m going to calm down. I’m going to try to not wake up at 2 in the morning having panic attacks about work. I’m going to pray for signs. I’m going to choose not to take everything so personally. I’m going to assume the best intentions of all of those around me.

Finally I’m going to be my own Valentine. I am going to be nice to myself. Fat thighs, broken soul, and all. I am going to “Be Caryn”. I put this in quotes because the concept, although obvious when you think about it, comes from the book “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin. I was highly skeptical of this book when I started reading it but have come to absolutely love it. Her advice ends up being just be yourself. Love what you love. Don’t try to love things you don’t love because you think you are supposed to. I’m going to love my Saturdays of yoga and Beverly Hills 90201 Marathons. I’m going to love ridiculous movies on the SyFy Channel that make my son giggle his irresistible giggle. I’m going to spend Sundays in my pajamas. I’m going to admit to the world that I still love General Hospital and be thankful for the Soap network for making it accessible to those of us thankful to have something to do at 4 in the morning.

So that’s it. February has to be better than January. I had such high hopes on New Year’s Eve. But I guess the point is it’s never to late to keep working on your fat thighs and broken soul. I mean there is nothing magical about January 1. It’s not like you miss it and it’s gone. You just start fresh. On a new day. February 7 can be the new January 1. I will continue to just work on “Being Caryn”…only without the shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment