Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Yeah here we go for the hundredth time.."


It’s confession time. I bought a t-shirt. I didn’t need a t-shirt. It is not an essential t-shirt. There isn’t even a charitable giving exception to my t-shirt. But sometimes…you just need a t-shirt.

Last night I took Taylor to the much anticipated Linkin Park concert. Taylor loves Linkin Park. I have never met a kid who at age almost 13 loves music the way he does. And he loves Linkin Park. I’m pretty sure his exceptional taste in music comes from me. He can name every song and tell you exactly what number it is on every album. Meteora is his favorite for those of you who may question his sincerity and loyalty. I bought him tickets to the concert in Las Vegas for Christmas. He has been counting the days since then. And I have been holding my breath for two weeks. They had to cancel a series of shows because Chester Bennington was sick. In fact, this was their first show back and the show right before this one was in fact cancelled. I told Taylor as soon as they started canceling shows that there was a chance his show would get rescheduled. I could only imagine the heartbreak that would result if we missed this show. I wanted him to be prepared. Everyday he made me check Facebook at least 3 times to see if Chester was still sick. Luckily, they posted on Friday that “Vegas was a go”. Thank you, Chester. Really, really…Thank you!

I believe strongly in having the full concert experience when you are seeing your favorite band. Concert t-shirts are a must. I let Taylor pick out whatever tour t-shirt he wanted. Ok, Chester, while I love and adore you very much and am happy you feel better, $35 for a t-shirt? Really? Anyway, he found the one of his dreams and promptly put it on while we were still standing at the counter. He then looked at me and said, “Which one are you going to get? It’s Linkin Park”. There was clearly no way I wasn’t getting a t-shirt too. So, I picked out my own fabulous $35 t-shirt in spite of my no shopping for February resolution. I’m a complete failure! But I’m totally ok with it. Taylor was so happy that his happiness was contagious. Stupid as it sounds, I will cherish my Linkin Park t-shirt for years to come. I may even ultimately cherish it more than my 1987 U2 Joshua Tree t-shirt that I still have and love. It is amazing to have a truly happy kid. I think there is now a concert t-shirt exception. Chester, don't tell Bono. Ok?
Now Chester, you guys were amazing and everything but next time maybe you could come a little closer to Reno. Going to Las Vegas is, in my opinion, a pain in the ass. It was a pain in the ass to get to the airport by 8 am the morning after the biggest snow storm of the year. It was a pain in the ass to go to Las Vegas, a place I truly despise. I honestly think that if anyone doubts that God is going to make it start raining again soon, all you really need to do is spend a Saturday night in Vegas. We should all be working on our arks. It was a pain in the ass to dodge the drunken idiots on the strip as we walked to the MGM from Treasure Island. Quite a hike, I might add. Did you know that you can get a daiquiri in a travel glass-like thing shaped like the Eiffel Tower? You can buy a strap too (probably because it is so big that it is really heavy) so you can wear your Eiffel Tower Daiquiri around your neck. At least every other drunken idiot was wearing an Eiffel Tower. It was a pain in the ass to have to give the “call girl” guy a lecture about handing out the number of “girls, girls, girls” to a 12 year old. The “call girl” guy assured me that he will be using better judgment in the future. It was a pain in the ass to have to fight through the people to see the half dead lions at the MGM. Does PETA not know about Las Vegas?
Chester, despite all of this complaining, you were so worth it! This concert meant the world to me. I needed Linkin Park for myself too. February has been rough on my heart. I’m not going to go into the gory details but trust me when I say this has been a hard month. I know time heals all things, but frankly, I need time to move a little faster.
I love music and I believe music has the ability to heal. I really do. And Linkin Park, well they have some serious insight into the human heart. I agree with them when they say, “I don’t want to be the one the battles always choose.” I know! I totally understand, Chester! I’m sick of being the one the battles always choose too. They are right when they say, “the hardest part of ending is starting again.” It is. The hardest part is picking up the pieces and “trying to figure out what it’s like moving on.” I know! Chester, you may be my soul mate. And I hope so much that they are right that even when you fall, even when you lose it all, “in the end it doesn’t even matter”. Chester, my soul mate, you had better be right about his one!
But you know what? Today it doesn't matter. All the heartache doesn’t even matter today. The drunken idiots and half dead lions don't even matter. The "call girl" guy, doesn't even matter. I have an ecstatic 12 year old, a post-concert high, and a “Thousand Suns 2010-11 World Tour” t-shirt. What’s better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment