Sunday, March 6, 2011

Yoga Meltdowns...Didn't see those coming.


Lessons learned so far in the Bikram Yoga 60 day Challenge:

1.  If I don't replace my electrolytes I start to cry.  I have been getting a little weepy after I get home from class for no apparent reason.  I think I need to make a more conscious effort to do a little electrolyte replacement right after class.  You would think that I would know this after being a runner for so many years.  I'm drinking plenty of water but very little else.  It's funny but certain things just don't sound good now.  Gatorade is one of them, too sweet.   Ack.  I know there are other options.  Coconut juice is yummy.  And I actually created a yoga cocktail of 3/4 sparkling water and 1/4 watermelon juice.  Yum!  I put it in a wine glass just because.  I am going to try drinking a coconut water right after class and see if that helps with the waterworks.     

2.  Bikram yoga may be better than therapy.  If I can't stop crying, I will go on to theory number two.  It may be that my electrolytes are fine.  It may be that  I am literally sweating out heartache from my life. I think there is a song in there somewhere.  I have a fair amount of pain that I have suppressed over the years.  Everything from feelings of guilt that I gave birth to a special needs child.  My ongoing heartache for him that keeps coming up now that he has reached middle school and is struggling to figure out where he fits in with his differences.  The buried hurt of rejection from men I thought I loved.  The resentment I have towards my mentors who have left me alone at my law firm while they go fulfill their goals and dreams.  Selfish, selfish, selfish.  I think I may actually be sweating this crap out of me.  Is that possible?  I have actually read in blogs from other people crazy enough to undertake the 60 day challenge that Bikram yoga meltdowns are not that uncommon. Apparently, the yoga stirs up a lot of toxins, including emotional toxins that may have been sitting in the bottom of your broken heart for decades.  Well, I didn't exactly read that...but that is kind of my interpretation of it.  I have read that the Birkram yoga meltdowns pass and you are fine after a week or two.  Hopefully that is true.  And hopefully I really am going to be able to leave some of this stuff on the mat.  I know this sounds a little new-agy for me.  I'm really not a new age kind of girl.  For now I'm going with the electrolyte theory but I am aware that something else maybe going on here. 

3.  Never underestimate the power of appropriate yoga shorts.  As I think I have established, I have an assortment of very cute, very functional yoga shorts and capris.  Others, I have learned through observation, do not.   I can't understand this because there are so many adorable hot yoga clothes out there.  I have had to put myself on shopping restriction.  This seems especially true with regard to the men.  No real surprise there I guess.  Now, I get that men aren't always the best at fashion coordination.  Especially when it comes to sports.  However, wearing simply your boxer shorts is just wrong.  I'm not entirely sure it is even legal.  I almost think these guys are facing potnential liability negligence and emotional distress.  Especially when boxer short guy decides to stand in the front row.  Bow pulling pose? boxer shorts? Gross, gross, gross.  Similarly, simply wearing underwear is equally traumatic for the rest of us.  There are very appropriate men's yoga shorts.  Sure they are tight and whatever...but it's really better than the boxer/underwear option.  And when in doubt, there is nothing wrong with a good pair of board shorts.  I may start a new charity to provide appropriate yoga shorts to those unfortunate enough to not have the fashion sense, or common sense, to wear something appropriate.  Kind of like a Coats for Kids kind of thing.

4.  Triangle is better when I sing Broadway musicals in my head.  So is standing head to knee, bow pulling pose and that awful one where you have to choke your throat.  I know I said I was going to try to not think in the yoga room but I'm not sure Broadway musicals count as thinking.  I'm going to try to avoid Les Miserables though until the above-mentioned Bikram Yoga meltdowns pass.  Eponine and I have a little too much in common (well not exactly...That's a little dramatic). But, I should probably avoid Miss Saigon too. Going to stick with Rock of Ages  for now. 

Lessons yet to be learned in the Bikram Yoga 60 day Challenge:

1.  What the f*%# is a Japanese Ham Sandwich?

On to day 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment